Tuesday, June 23, 2009

End of streak?

Before the Indians take on the Pirates in Pittsburgh tonight and hopefully end their six game losing streak, I thought I would post a positive post about the Indians and their past and present. First of all, I just read a wonderful book written by Jonathan Knight entitled "Classic Tribe: The 50 Greatest Games in Cleveland Indians History. Knight gives the story behind what he feels are the greatest games in franchise history from 50 to 1, and many of the key games in history are there such as the game to clinch the American League in 1995 and the seventh game of the 1997 World Series, which is one of only two losses that are profiled in the book. I would highly recommend this book to any Tribe fan. By reading this book, it gave me an idea to document a few positives in Cleveland Indians history in hopes that it will help them end the losing streak tonight. Here is what I have come up:

*The Indians have had two perfect games pitched in their history. Len Barker vs Toronto on May 15, 1981 and Addie Joss as a Nap on October 2, 1908 vs Chicago.

*Only opening day no hitter in history. Bob Fellere on April 16, 1940 in Chicago.

*Only unassisted triple play in World Series history. Second baseman Bill Wambeganas on October 10, 1920 vs Brooklyn.

*First grand slam in World Series history. Elmer Smith on October 10, 1920 vs Brooklyn.

*3 Cy Young award winners. Cliff Lee in 2008, CC Sabathia in 2007 and Gaylord Perry in 1974.

*2 games over 22 runs scored against the New York Yankees. April 18, 2009 and August 31, 2004.

*Largest deficit to overcome in the last two innings of a game (12 runs). August 15, 2001 vs Seattle.

*2 World Championships. 1920 and 1948.

On Father's Day, I called my dad and my best friend to wish them a happy dad's day, and when I talked to my best friend told me that my godson (his little boy) wanted to tell me something exciting. This coming Sunday, Garrett gets to partake in the Indians kids starting lineup before their game against the Reds. He gets to run out to a position, stand there and have the Indians position player come out and present him with an autographed ball. Garrett is so excited! I am excited for him, and wish I could be there to see him, but my best friend promised to have his mom take plenty of pictures. Good luck Garrett! Until the next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment