Saturday, May 2, 2009

Up and down week

I cannot believe it has been a week since I last posted here on my blog, but with work and time at home with my wife, I just didn't get around to blogging this week. I do apologize, but I am sure each of you would say the same thing if it was your life too. Anyway, it has also been an up and down week for the Cleveland Indians. They did not end the much anticipated nine game homestand very well as they lost two of three to the Red Sox. And both of those games, they should have won. I am not going to digress too much on the losses, but in order to be contenders, the Indians must beat the contending teams such as Boston. This weekend, the Tribe is in Detroit, and won by the hair on their chin last night, although it should never have been as close as the final score indicates. Carl Pavano pitched the best game in forever by giving up only three hits in seven innings, but once again, the bullpen gave up five runs. However, Kerry Wood came in the ninth to slam the door on his fourth save of the year. The offense was led by David Delluci, in his first game of the season he had four hits, and Jhonny Peralta, who clubbed his first home run of the season, and the Indians won 6 to 5. The two teams meet again this afternoon and then Sunday.

Two bright signs for the Indians early on this season are the hitting of Grady Sizemore and Victor Martinez. Grady is leading the team with 19 RBI and also does it on defense. I know some of you may be asking why I speak so much of Grady, but if you don't get to see him play on a daily basis, you are missing out. He is all out kind of guy and has all the tools. In my humble opinion, I believe Grady is the best offensive player in the league right now. As for Victor, he is in the top three in many offensive categories early on this season. And last night he extended his hitting streak to ten games, and his average is right around .370. Victor is special in the sense that defensively he can play catcher or first base for the Tribe, and to give him a "day off", Eric Wedge can put him in as the DH. I am saying right now that you will see Grady and Victor in St. Louis for the All Star game this year.

As I stated in when I began this blog, I am avid collector of baseball cards too. The other day I received a nice package of about 300 cards of the Indians from Cliff in Texas. I wish I had use of a scanner to show some of these cards, but I could not get over the awesome collection he sent. I mostly collect cards of the Indians, but I am also a team collector of the Expos, and Rob in Kansas sent me some of them last week after having sent me some of the Indians previously. My collections for both are growing tremendously and my wife cannot believe how many cards I will get in the mail from other collectors. But the way I look at it, at least I have a fun and interesting hobby. By the way, I also collect Albert Pujols and Ryan Feierabend cards.

Well, I am going to sign off for now. I am at the library and hope to find a good book on baseball to read. Til the next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment